Tuesday 27 November 2012

AMSA IMU-NKF Fundraising Event (26th-27th November)


The National Kidney Foundation (NKF) fundraising event was held from 26th to 29th November 2012 at IMU.  This event was organized by AMSA IMU. NKF is a charitable organization where dialysis is provided. NKF’s patients are generally from the lower income group and these patients often could not afford dialysis treatments at private medical facilities which usually charge RM150 to RM250 for each dialysis sessions. NKF helps by subsidising the cost of the patients’ dialysis treatments, so that they are only required to pay a RM50 nominal fee per dialysis session. Hence, all proceeds raised by AMSA IMU through this event will be channeled to NKF in providing subsidized dialysis treatment for the poor and needy. The objectives of this community service are to contribute to the community, help them to live the fulfilling lives that they deserve and learn some skills in organizing an event.

I registered as a volunteer and the organiser assigned me to help them on 26th and 27th of November. There were two booth selling badges, lanyards, foods and drinks, coin boxes and refrigerator magnets. I helped them to set up the booth by arranging all the items on the tables, collect money, record the amount of items sold and count the lanyards. Besides that, I also help to distribute pamphlets to all the students and lecturers that passed by our booth. Other than that, they also provided a donation box for people who want to donate money. Me and some of my coursemates were going around the atrium and motivating people to donate money to NKF. 

I’m tremendously blessed when I knew that through this event, I rendered to someone less fortunate and I helped to brighten their day. I am glad that I was given a chance to contribute to the community. These experiences help me to develop my ability to cope with difficult and frustrating situations and learn how to manage time and people to the best of my ability.


Photo taken at the booth at atrium. 
 

Joe Jen and I were distributing the pamphlets to students and lecturers.



No comments:

Post a Comment